Sunday, October 6, 2013

Take a day off!


I know, I'm being a lazy lion and I promised a surprise... but, like many people, I get very busy every now and then, and I didn't really have any short story on hand that I wanted to post.

I did want to share with you something positive I learned, though.

Ever since the beginning of September, I had thought that I had wasted my summer by being sick and letting myself feel down instead of enjoying the warm season. I blamed myself for it all.

It wasn't until after I stopped putting myself down and telling myself it was my fault (I may have had to use my sickness as a scapegoat) that I began to realize what was productive about my summer!

First off, I was singing all summer. I sung on my way to work, I sung whenever I was by myself, I sung in the shower - hoping that nobody could hear me!

After a few months, I like to believe that I am correct when I think I hear an improvement in my voice. Singing has become so much easier for me and - while, as a musician, I can accurately say that my singing requires ample improvement - my voice just sounds a lot less awkward when I sing.

More importantly, I used writing as a coping method throughout the summer. Even if I wasn't planning to publish or show the work to anyone, I still wrote every day. As a result, I developed a habit and an addiction to writing.

I wouldn't say that my writing skills have improved very much, but since my hand now begins to develop an uncomfortable twitch if I don't write for a long time, I'd say that I will be putting a lot more effort into writing than I ever have in my life.

So, for those of you out there who are considering whether you should take a moment as an opportunity for a break or as an opportunity to do more work, I recommend observing your self-critical thoughts and taking into consideration what many little tasks you have accomplished, rather than what enormous task you haven't.

That, and, do take a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment